My safety is the most important thing.
- Treatment that is up-to-date and consistent with known "best practices", including those that prevent infection and medical mistakes.
- Risks, side effects, benefits, cost, and less-invasive alternatives will be discussed with me in advance of treatment.
- I can get access to care within a reasonable time frame, sparing me prolonged pain, worry, and/or the possible worsening of my condition.
- I’m invited to support my own safety, and shown ways in which I can help.
- That my questions are answered and (with some exceptions for emergencies) I’m given time to choose thoughtfully before signing off on a serious medical procedure